Aug 06, 2009
Having only OpenSolaris on this machine I needed a way of flashing the bios with an update.
Before I proceed any further; flashing your bios incorrectly/incompletely CAN and most likely WILL render your machine useless. The information which I am providing worked/works on my specific machine.
Now to the task at hand. Having only OpenSolaris on this machine and wishing to update my bios firmware I had two choices:
- use a recovery disc I made after purchase, which would entail installing Vista for the sole purpose of this procedure
- use a usb stick with the needed bin on it and flash from that
I chose the latter and here's how I did it:
- Download the spXXXXX.exe from hp site
- unpack the .exe using cabextract
- rename the extension from xxxx.FD to xxxx.BIN /* x = the alphanumeric string proceeding the extension */
- insert USB key ; cp xxxx.BIN /media ; umount /media ; shutdown
- Remove the battery from the unit
- Unplug mains
- Hold down 'Windows' and 'B' keys ; re-plug mains and press power button
- After the flash completes and before the machine starts, remove the USB key